Restless leg syndrome facts
- Restless leg syndrome is a condition marked by unpleasant leg sensations at bedtime.
- Restless leg syndrome frequency leads to insomnia.
- The cause of restless leg syndrome is unknown in most individuals, but many conditions have been associated with it.
- Treatment of restless leg syndrome is directed toward any underlying illness, if known.
- Medications are available for restless leg syndrome.
What is restless leg syndrome (RLS)?
Restless leg syndrome (RLS, restless legs syndrome) is a common cause of painful legs. The leg pain of restless leg syndrome typically eases with motion of the legs and becomes more noticeable at rest. Restless leg syndrome also features worsening of symptoms and leg pain during the early evening or later at night.
Restless leg syndrome is often abbreviated RLS; it has also been termed shaking leg syndrome. Nighttime involuntary jerking of the legs during sleep are also known as periodic leg/limb movement disorder.